Monday, March 16, 2009

Apparently now I'm a crook

I'm settling into the new job, SLOWLY. It's been a wild ride. Today I did payroll for the first time. I don't think I mucked it up too bad. There's only been one real "incident" since I took over. Last Thursday, while I was sitting at home enjoying a nice wine buzz, my cell phone rang. It was one of the employees that we had let go. She was calling to tell me that she had received a letter from EDD advising her that there was no balance for unemployment insurance.

This part is important. She didn't call me crying or panicky. She called me all angry and pissed off. I'm not sure what I was suppose to do about it at 8pm on a Thursday night and I told her so. Then she told me that she was going to come into the office the next day to talk to the head doc. I asked her what purpose that was going to serve and her response was that she wanted the doc to know what was going on. I explained to her that since she had disturbed my evening I was going to be sure that I told the doc.

Of course I spend the rest of my evening going back and forth wondering if my former manager did not pay EDD and being really angry at the former employer for calling me.

When I got to work the next day I found out that she had called all of the employees. One of them asked her what her purpose was for calling me. She told them it was because she felt I needed to know. Now I'm even more pissed off. I quickly discover that we have, in fact, been paying EDD.

Shortly after I get a call from said employee who announces that she had filed under the wrong employer name which is why she got the letter. "So, let me get this straight. You call all the employees, create hysteria, ruin my evening, all because of a mistake you made?" She gets all self righteous on me and tells me that she had called me on Thursday evening because she wanted to be comforted. She did not call me for comfort. She called me because she was pissed and she wanted to yell at someone. I called her on it, and she stuck to her guns that she wanted comfort and then told me that obviously my position has gone to my head.

Then she proceeded to tell me that my former manager would have always been available during off hours for such reasons. That's total bullshit. I just replied with "well, look where that got you." I mean seriously because of my former manager she is out of a job. Her response, "well who says you won't do the same thing."

That was her way of inferring that I would commit fraud, steal, and lie.

This from a woman who has been working under the table for another one of our docs but tells everyone she is "volunteering." Which you know is bullshit because who "volunteers" their time at their former place of employment.

I'm one step away from reporting her.

1 comment:

Chickpea said...

Give it a week, see what other trouble she stirs up, and then if you're still pissed off or irritated by her then report her underhanded bullshit.