Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Things on my mind right now

Things on my mind right now. I had my hairdresser put pink in my hair. It’s cute with the red, however we have family portraits being done on Sunday. I have this vision of thirty years from now my grandchildren thinking I’m a wacko.

The election. I found myself emotional. Last year in one of my classes I did a lot of research and writing on slavery, issues of racism, discrimination, etc. I never get tired of hearing Dr. King’s “I have a dream” speech and it’s all I could think of last night.

Proposition 8. Thanks to twitter, there has been so much talk about this proposition, from all over the country and Canada. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their thoughts. Nobody is entitled to being called names because of their decision. I agree, a lot of people do make their decisions based on hate and prejudice. But a lot of people, especially people I know, made their decision based on their own convictions and their commitment to their faith. Nobody is entitled to face vandalism because of their decision. You can’t claim tolerance and then attack those who have a different opinion than you do. I’m aware that it’s been negative on both sides and it just makes me sad. If Proposition 8 passes there is no doubt in my mind that this issue has not been settled. We have a long ways to go in educating and enlightening individuals on both sides of this issue. Hell, we just elected an African American President for the first time, big changes like that don’t come easy and look how long it took us to get here.

My children, I was so happy to find them both engaged in the election. Einstein took part in voting at his school and Beav participated in class debates over the propositions. My children and I disagree on several of the issues, but I’m proud that they take a stand and are still willing to listen to different opinions.

Recently I’ve had people tell me that they could never be with someone who had opposite political views than they do. The husband and I differ a lot in our political opinions and now so do my children and I and you know what, I like it that way. It just makes all of us that much more educated and prepared to make decisions. I feel blessed to be surrounded by so many individuals who think so differently than I do. I admit that sometimes it leaves me scratching my head thinking “what the hell….?” But I’m better for it.

Last but not least I was giving Beav a short economics lesson in the car this morning. Explaining that how people quit spending and how that trickles down to impact everyone. I used the example of my second job where I’ve seen my commissions drop by sixty percent. So, I spend less, which means stores don’t many as much money, which effects distribution of goods, etc, etc. I’m just hoping he doesn’t go to school and tell people that his mommy isn’t making money off the sex toys. Because that is paying for his education……well barely anyway.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: