Sunday, April 25, 2010

I did it!

Posted fight night pics here.





I'm not sure I ever want to do that again. First off, fighting your very best friend is the hardest thing I've ever done.

Those of you reading my blog know I've trained two years for this. I was going to fight in the fall of 08, but my mom passed. Then I was going to fight this time last year and I cracked my rib.

Yesterday I spent the day in panic. It wasn't winning or losing that bothered me. It wasn't forgetting all my training. It was worry about my endurance. And it was a well founded worry because about a minute into it my heart was beating so hard it was hurting. All I could think about was the pre-fight talk we had in which someone mentioned nobody had ever left the ring on a gurney and I could be the first.

But I did last all three rounds. And I won. But it was hard. I almost broke into tears at the end of the fight. Everything I've been through in the last year and a half. It was as if it culminated in this fight. There was so much stuff going on in my head. It's all still there and I'm fairly sure that as soon as I have a moment alone I'm going to fall apart.

I'm so thankful that my brothers surprised me by being here. And so many of my friends were there to cheer me on. I have to tell you that the crowd makes a big difference. Hearing them react, cheer, etc. it's really motivating.

But I really couldn't have done this without my best friend and my fighting opponent. We've been through so much together and for both of us this has been a very tough road. We started kickboxing together and have been there for each other every step of the way.

I'm proud of myself. I think I surprised a lot of people. I surprised myself.

Videos are posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4k6dHrn-Qg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXTAbs443Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93St4qWt2k

No comments: